Massage is a general term for pressing, rubbing and manipulating your skin, muscles, tendons and ligaments. Massage may range from light stroking to deep pressure. There are many different types of massage, including these common types:
· Swedish massage. This is a gentle form of massage that uses long strokes, kneading, deep circular movements, vibration and tapping to help relax and energize you.
· Deep massage. This massage technique uses slower, more-forceful strokes to target the deeper layers of muscle and connective tissue, commonly to help with muscle damage from injuries.
· Sports massage. This is similar to Swedish massage, but it's geared toward people involved in sport activities to help prevent or treat injuries.
Benefits of Massage
Massage is generally considered part of complementary and alternative medicine. It's increasingly being offered along with standard treatment for a wide range of medical conditions and situations.
Studies of the benefits of massage demonstrate that it is an effective treatment for reducing stress, pain and muscle tension.
While more research is needed to confirm the benefits of massage, some studies have found massage may also be helpful for:
1. Relaxes the body
2. Reduces anxiety
3. Reduces mental stress
4. Calms the nervous system
5. Decreases lower back pain
6. Promotes quality sleep
7. Lowers blood pressure
8. Ease symptoms of depression
9. Improves productivity
10. Reduces heart rate
11. Induces mental relaxation
12. Slows respiration
13. Stretches connective tissue
14. Reduces Chronic Pain
15. Improves balance
16. Relieves tired and aching muscles
17. Improves muscle tone
18. Relieves cramped muscles
19. Speeds recovery from injury
20. Reduces tension headaches
21. Increases blood and lymphatic circulation
22. Speeds elimination of metabolic waste
23. Increases range of motion
24. Improves posture
25. Improves skin tone